September 3, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: September 2nd
Platform: Switch

Yep, I love this game. It's challenging, it's funny, it's pretty, it sounds great and it has very satisfying combat mechanics. I'm really surprised at how much I'm enjoying Kingdom Battle...

I was in world 1, revisiting areas to see if I could open new treasures and tried a few challenges. However, the challenges are really, really fucking hard... I'm thinking I'm supposed to come back and do these once I have better weapons and more skills because I just, wasn't hitting hard enough.

That meant I was ready for world 2, where I discovered a desert turning into a frozen wasteland. It's quite pretty actually, and it's a nice change of scenery from the verdant greens of the first world. I had to upgrade my weapons for all characters. I'm sticking to Mario, Luigi and Rabbid Peach for now. The upgraded weapons make a big difference in combat, but now that I'm in the second world, the enemies are significantly stronger too...
A typical battle in World 2
I've been allocating my skill points a bit randomly, picking things that seem really useful at the time. For example, both Mario and Luigi now have two chances of hitting when in "overwatch" mode, which has been very helpful.

My daughter has also fallen in love with this game! She loves the animations and the way combat works. She's asking many smart questions about my positioning and why I choose to do certain things. I can see her little brain working hard to put the pieces of the puzzle together and understand what's happening on screen. It's really fun to teach her this stuff, but now she wants me to play the game only when I'm with her!

Either way, I played the first two levels of the 2nd world, which was a lot of fun. I'm learning new ways to abuse movement abilities, chaining dashes and jumps together like a madman, it's quite satisfying.