September 26, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: September 25th
Platform: PS4

Last night, I booted up the game and intended to continue the mission with Lenni, the crazy hacker lady who's holding our systems hostage with ransomware. Then, another player joined my game and just hopped into my car. I don't know why, but it just felt like it was time to go GTA-style. I drove around with the other guy for a while. We stopped at a few restricted areas to fight some dudes, took some big jumps, drove fast and fought cops. It was mindless, and so much fun!

I ended up in the middle of a small suburb called San Mateo, which is a very rich area with large mansions and sports cars all over the place. I explored it a bit, finding a couple of research points, money bags and a unique vehicle. The vehicle is a hilarious scooter with a pink paintjob, depicting unicorns and rainbows. It also makes a "magic" sound when accelerating...

Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans. I lost power in my house, which of course, turned off my PS4. Unfortunately, since I had been fucking around, the game hadn't saved in a long while, so I had to spend a bunch of time re-exploring San Mateo... I spent a good amount of time solving environmental puzzles. These are some of the most enjoyable missions because there's a ton of possible solutions in most cases.

In one case, I used a forklift to build a makeshift staircase for my jumper drone. In another, I remote controlled a car and rammed into into some guards protecting an item. In another, I sent in a bunch of cops and gangsters to create a huge street war, distracting everyone away from the area I needed to access. Watch Dogs 2 is at it's best during these moments.

I decided to continue the Hacker Wars story missions and headed to a restaurant in the southern end of the map. This place is owned and operated by the Sons of Ragnarok, one of the most dangerous gangs in the city. The yard behind the restaurant was huge and filled with dangerous criminals. My objective was to sabotage some of their computers and devices, then make it look like it was done by Prime_Eight! I methodically destroyed and killed everything in my path from the safety of a nearby sidewalk.

Lenni, the head Prime_Eight hacker, was fucking furious with us, since we sabotaged her relations with the Sons of Ragnarok, but she still had the upper hand, since we were still stuck with the ransomware. Marcus had enough of this shit and managed to find the main bunker from which the rival hacker group works from. After destroying their defenses, I went in and hacked their system.
A tricky puzzle in the heart of the Prime_Eight bunker
This was a surprisingly complex hacking mission, with a 5 minute timer limit and all. Lenni had set up an elaborate series of connections throughout the bunker, rigged to some powerful explosives. This was meant as a failsafe against police or other authorities, but the situation called for extreme measures. I scrambled to complete the puzzle, to Lenni's astonishment, then found the way to disable the ransomware from the Prime_Eight computers nearby.