September 5, 2017

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle

Date played: September 4th
Platform: Switch

Having met my first Game Over screen last time I played, I decided it was time to do something about it, so I reset all my skill points and re-attributed them. I was pretty systematic here, giving everyone their 3 main skills. Also, more and more enemies are starting to inflict status ailments, such as ink and freeze. That means I decided to give everyone the ability to remove status ailments with a team jump.

Mario now has a focus on movement, jumps and reaction shots. Luigi is heavily focused on reaction shots, with a bit of movement abilities. Peach is focused on dashing and healing. The changes were immediately apparent... I redid the battle that killed me and got through it unscathed, so I think it's safe to say that I made better decisions in the skill tree. This led me to the final battle of the second world.

The boss is a giant Rabbid that carries a refrigerator door as a shield. Luigi was captured by the fridge guy and frozen, so I was short one party member. Thankfully, that's when Peach decided to finally join the battle instead of sitting around in her castle courtyard. Peach is pretty cool as a character, but I don't think I'll keep her in the team. She has a lot of health, and she can heal allies by performing a team jump. She's equipped with a shotgun and a grenade. She also has a reaction shot ability and a protective aura for her team.
This boss was a lot of fun to battle

My biggest problem with Peach is her main weapon. The shotgun, while great with large groups of enemies at close range, is just too short-ranged for my style. Still, I had to use her for the boss battle, along with Mario and Rabbid Peach. The battle itself was really hard... The boss is huge, and cannot be dashed or jumped on. He has a wide area attack that freezes and destroys cover, and has a whopping 500 health. Of course, he's accompanied by some enemies too, so it was really challenging.

I ended up taking potshots at the beast whenever I could, sending out remote tanks and all that to distract it while healing up any damage he managed to inflict. I thought I had him, he was almost dead, then I shot him and celebrated! Too soon... The fucker had two more phases to dump on my ass!

I scrambled to reposition my team and got Princess Peach to tank the boss while I shot it from a distance. The third phase was the worst because the boss was accompanied by some support healers, so I had to kill them first, but they move quickly and the whole time, the boss had his sights on my party. It was tricky, but I managed to kill the boss and free Luigi, then head into the third world.

I didn't actually play any of the levels of the third world, my daughter was just really curious to see what the theme was, and she loved that it was a spooky, Halloween theme. The zombie Rabbids fit in perfectly with the game's silly tone.