September 3, 2017

Final Fantasy VII

Date played: September 2nd
Platform: PS4

Well, I wanted to play something quiet yesterday afternoon, so I booted up FF VII, and finally left the giant city of Midgar! Honestly, I didn't really "play" very much of the game, since it was mainly a series of long exposition scenes. Thankfully, the story in FF VII is still pretty damn solid, even if it's stupid at times. The characters are the interesting part of this story, not the details of the plot.

What I did play was an unusual mini-game as I drove Cloud's iconic motorcycle, protecting my friends who were riding a little car. As we sped along the highway, I had to move my bike around and hit enemies with a stick. It didn't control very well, but thankfully, the game was very permissive with mistakes. At the end of the sequence we faced a powerful boss, a large war machine.

Cloud, Tifa and Barret was my team, and while the boss hit hard, it wasn't anything I couldn't heal through. I had Tifa casting Bolt on it, while the others used physical attacks and limits. After the battle, we climbed down from the edge of the city's border, and headed out into the open world for the first time!

The iconic scene where Sephiroth burns the town of Nibelheim to the ground
Unfortunately, the walk to the next town was short, and I only had one or two random battles along the way. What followed was a HUGE story segment. It explains a lot about Cloud and Sephiroth... I won't go into detail here, but it's basically the point where Sephiroth turns into a bad guy. I moved Cloud around a little bit during the scenes, but there was no combat and no puzzles. Since I've seen all this before, I was a bit bored.

I can't wait to play through a real dungeon now...