September 24, 2017

Metroid Samus Returns

Date played: September 23rd and 24th
Platform: 3DS

It's really difficult to write about games like this. When a game is focused on exploration and combat, there really isn't that much to write about. That's a shame too because I am absolutely in love with Samus Returns, and I'd love to write about it endlessly.

I made my way out of Area 2 and made slight progress in Area 3. The Gamma metroids are the main enemies in this area, and the are a lot of fun to fight. The can fight from air or ground, launching a variety of highly damaging attacks. They require swift dodging and take a long time to kill. However, when I manage to land a melee counter on them, Samus savagely leaps onto the aggressive alien and shoots right through their skulls, dealing lots of damage.

Some of these guys even fight across multiple rooms! They can traverse through special walls, moving the battle from room to room. I loved this! Of course, this wouldn't be a Metroid game if I hadn't picked up some new abilities along the way...
Gamma Metroid are fun to battle against, even if they're ferocious

The first upgrade I got was the Varia suit, which allows me to traverse high temperature areas and reduces damage taken in combat. I also got the wave beam, which is a more powerful version of the main weapon that also traverses walls and enemies. This is a huge advantage in combat, as each shot can potentially hit multiple enemies. Next, I picked up the high jump boots, which allow me to reach higher areas. This makes the game feel way better too, more like Super Metroid. I'm also pretty happy that I found a new energy tank and even an Aeion gauge upgrade during my adventure.

I even got myself a new Aeion ability, and it's a big one. Rapidfire allows Samus to shoot at a very high speed for a short time, consuming the Aeion gauge. It's an expensive ability to use, but it hits like a motherfucking freight train. it also works wonders against small, swarming enemies. Finally, I picked up the grapple beam, a staple of the bounty hunter's arsenal. This allows me to grapple and swing on specific types of blocks. It also allows me to destroy certain barriers.

I just can't wit to see what Area 3 holds. So far, it's been dangerous, hostile, scary and filled with things that want to kill me. It's also quite large, and requires that I hunt down 8 metroids to progress. I fucking love Samus Returns, it's incredible.