September 13, 2017

Watch Dogs 2

Date played: September 12th
Platform: PS4

Watch Dogs 2 has really grabbed my attention and interest... I haven't continued any main story missions, instead spending my time on exploring, side missions and other activities like races and such.

One of the most interesting side missions surprised me. It seems that Aiden "the Fox" Pierce, the hero from the first game, is visiting San Francisco, and has been captured by some gangsters. Marcus had to help him out of course, so I went to the location and hacked into a camera in Aiden's cell. I distracted a guard that was walking nearby, which gave Pierce enough time to grab him, then escape. I was rewarded with Aiden's iconic, yet hated, clothing.

I decided to visit a little island sitting below the bridge between San Francisco and Oakland, since I had a side mission there to hack a tower. At one point, I had to go on a Grand Theft Auto inspired rampage. As anyone who's played a GTA game will tell you, just fucking around and causing mayhem is one of the most enjoyable aspects of these types of games, and Watch Dogs 2 has a set of unique techniques that add some fun to this.

"Inspired by Grand Theft Auto"
So as I was trying to ruin a girl's selfie (she had a selfie stick, I had to mess with her), when I noticed some cops arresting a young woman. I decided this was a good time to mess with the cops, so I used one of my favorite techniques, and called in some gangsters to attack the cops. I took out my trusty quadcopter and hacked the cops when the gangsters attacked to give my guys an edge. Combine that with a few vehicle hacks and it was a perfect storm of destruction, with Marcus watching safely from a distance. It's fucking great, and lots of fun to do on it's own.

There's a lot of collectibles hidden in restricted areas, which are usually guarded by gang members or security guards. I have a lot of fun trying to just get rid of enemies from a distance, using my skills and gadgets to infiltrate the areas. Each is like it's own little battle arena, which reminded me of how the recent Batman games are structured.

During my exploration, I stumbled upon a unique vehicle, a large radioactive waste disposal truck. It's got a great look, but more importantly, I can now call it with the car app. When collecting items, it's often useful to have a large vehicle to climb onto, so this truck will come in handy. It's also a very durable vehicle, so I suspect it could be useful later in missions where I will be chased by tougher enemies.

I upgraded some of my skills with the research points I've collected and earned. The skills are pretty expensive, so making choices can be really difficult. I settled on upgrading my gangsters and unlocking the Massive Vehicle Hack skill. This thing is fucking crazy, since it hacks all cars around Marcus for 10 seconds. This is useful for clearing a path on a busy street, or creating general mayhem when needed.

I then decided to try a few races, starting with a dirt bike event. I fucked up a couple times, but this one wasn't too hard, I just had to be careful not to go too fast, as it's easy to overshoot landings from jumps sometimes. The next race was a different story though, since it was an ATV instead of a motorcycle. This fucking piece of shit vehicle handles like complete garbage. At first, it didn't seem too bad, but the slightest thing will make the ATV lose traction and spin out easily. It took me many attempts to get the gold medal here. This was probably the worst part of the whole game for me so far.

Later, I decided to explore the West end of Marin, since I had a nearby Scout X picture to take. The remote area led to a large lighthouse, with a few collectibles scattered around. My next mission was back in San Francisco, so I had to cross the Golden Gate Bridge. I figured I could try out a little boat ride for the first time instead. I jumped down from the lighthouse and stole a nearby fishing boat. I then drove it across the water, heading for the next side mission.

I loved this mission! I had to find the source of a 52 Hz audio signal being broadcast nearby. This is the same signal as the lonely whale, a real life whale who sings at a different frequency than all other whales. The mission was more of a hacking puzzle, and these are some of my favorite gameplay moments in the game. I had to use my drone to fly around and connect all the wires together using intersections that rotate. It's hard to explain, but it's a really cool method.

To end my night, I decided to assault a huge restricted area, filled with heavily armored guards with big, dangerous weapons. I was doing ok, killing or tranquilizing enemies methodically. However, at one point, the cops showed up and unfortunately, saw me. I got into a huge battle against both the cops and the guards, but it was a battle I was meant to lose... I got overwhelmed when the police helicopter showed up and died. Watch Dogs 2 is way better than I was expecting.