March 31, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: March 30th
Platform: Switch

I didn't play very long, but I explored Hateno village a little bit. I had left off at the laboratory, which stands high above the village. I spoke with two people there, Purah and Symin. Symin is just an assistant, but Purah is a weird looking little lady. It turns out, she's actually even older than Impa, but has found a way to make her body younger with the help of some Sheikah runes.

She asks Link to get a blue flame from the village to restart her furnace. I went down to the village, took out my torch and carried the blue flame to the lab. Purah then upgraded my slate to add a camera, album and an upgraded sensor.
Hateno village is lovely
The camera can catalogue any item, weapon or monster once I take a photograph. It adds the item to the album, which I can then select to scan for with the sensor. For example, I was asked to take a picture of Sunshroom, then I was able to scan for them, just like shrines. I can see this being useful when farming for a specific item.

I saw a shrine nearby, right in the heart of the village, so I went in and completed it. It was probably the worst shrine yet unfortunately. I had to use motion controls to move a ball through a maze. While it wasn't really complicated, the controls were shit, so it was hard to move the platform the way I intended. I still got it done rather quickly, only taking about 3 attempts, but it was frustrating for nothing.

I explored the village a little bit, but not much. I found a house that Link can buy for about 3000 rupees, but I've only got like 800 right now, so I'll come back to it. I also found a couple of merchants and stuff, but I still have lots to find here.

I'm having a hard time playing Zelda at the same time as Horizon, mainly because the controls schemes are slightly different, yet very similar. I think I need to play one game at a time!