March 30, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: March 29th
Platform: PS4

I headed north, stopping at new campfires, fighting robots and exploring. I found a weird guy who likes to drink machine oil... and he wants me to bring him "Sawtooth blood". So that was odd. I also ran into a new enemy type, the Behemoth, but haven't fought one yet. They look a little bit like bison, or rhinoceros.

I wanted to progress the story a little bit, so I continued north to Pitchcliff to meet with Erend, who is still looking for his sister Ersa. There's also word going around that a man named Dervahl may be behind it all. This is a small settlement, covered in snow and with only a few residents. I followed a trail from here to Dervahl's camp, where I found half a dozen restrained machines, surrounded by a dozen men. I ignored the machines and took out the men in open combat, but a Ravager got loose! I used override on it to help me clean up the last few bad guys.

After clearing out the camp, we found a path to a cellar, but it was protected by a device that emits a loud noise, preventing humans from entering, except those who have the right ear protection! I looted some high tech ear muffs from a dude and entered the cellar, only to find Ersa chained up in a cell. She was still alive, but after a short conversation with Erend, she succumbed to her wounds and died.

Erend was devastated, but we reported back to the Sun-King Avad. Dervahl apparently has a hideout in Meridian, so I tracked him down through secret passages in the city. I found a bomb that he had made and "defused" it. Soon enough, the trail led right back to Avad, where Dervahl was attacking him. The bad guy got distracted when his bomb didn't explode as expected, and he ran off. I saved Avad and Erend, then chased down Dervahl again.

I finally fought him, along with a flock of Glinthawks. It wasn't a hard fight, but there wasn't much room to move around, so I had to be quick. Erend and Avad spare Dervahl's life in order to sell him to neighboring countries.
Thunderjaw battle in the Cauldron
After all this, I decided to go exploring some more, heading north again. I found another Cauldron, and like the others, it was a lot of fun. It was a lot shorter, but the final battle was against a Thundejaw! I ripped off it's launchers and roped it down, then took off half it's health with it's own weapon. I couldn't find the other launcher, so I roped it down again and used explosives with the sling, but it wasn't enough to bring it down. I ran around a little, putting it on fire, shooting at it's weak spots and it eventually died, but it was a hard battle! Plus, now I can override Thunderjaws...

I ended the evening with a little fight for fun, where I took on a herd of Tramplers, though I had one of them on my side. Combat is amazing in this game...