March 24, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: March 23rd
Platform: PS4

I slowly made my way towards the hunting grounds in the southern portion of the map. I fought some Tramplers and Longlegs along they way, then found the hunting grounds. The three trials revolved around stealth, so I was well equipped to complete them.

This Scrapper is about to die
The first trial was just about killing 4 watchers silently. My first attempt went too long, as I didn't scout the area out properly. My second attempt was much smoother, as I quickly moved from cover to cover, taking out the Watchers as they got close or luring them with the whistle. I had to be careful not to get seen by a pair of Stalkers and some patrolling Shell-Walkers.

The second trial was relatively easy, as I only had to kill two Stalkers. They love to hide, but I spotted them quickly and shocked them with the sling, then shot them down quickly with some bombs. During this trial, I had a bunch of Watchers chasing me, but I just ignored them and focused on the Stalkers.

The final trial was hilarious! I had to loot 4 Shell-Walker containers, which were scattered on the road. I just fucking sprinted in, looted 3 of them and got spotted. At this point, I had at least 4 Watchers on my ass, 2 Stalkers and at least 4 Shell-Walkers chasing me. I sprinted to the last crate, but it had been picked up by a Shell-Walker, so I used a tear arrow to take it off, then looted it. I ran the fuck out of there as fast as possible. It was really fun because of how chaotic and stupid it all was.

After getting the best score on the trials, I went on the hunt for a couple of Sawtooths to complete a Hunting Lodge side quest. I turned in the quest in Meridian and got a follow up with my mentor lady person. I also bought a new war bow in town, which can shoot corruption arrows. These seem pretty cool because they confuse robots and make them attack each other for a short while. I messed with it a bit and it works pretty damn well so far.

I figured I might as well try the final hunting ground challenges, located north of Meridian. I had already made the trek to the nearest campfire, so I fast traveled and started the challenges. The theme here is taking advantage of the machines to turn the situation to my advantage. In the first trial, my job was to tear a Ravager's cannon off, then use it to destroy 2 machines. This was really easy, I just killed a Ravager and a Watcher with it and got top score on my first attempt.

The second trial was a real tough one though, and I haven't managed to complete it yet. Basically, I must override the two Ravagers, then kill the Thunderjaw, in less than 2 minutes and 40 seconds... I tried, but I don't think I have the right approach. I think I have to tie down the Thunderjaw, freeze it then shoot it with it's own cannon, but it's really hard. Also, the Ravagers ended up attacking me also since my override skill isn't upgraded at all... I got stomped to death by the Thunderjaw, so I'll have to try it again.