March 8, 2017

Fast RMX

Date played: March 7th
Platform: Switch

My daughter had a snow day at school yesterday, so she had to stay home. We invited one of her friends to come and play, and this is where the Switch's portable mode proved it's usefulness. I was able to play a few championships of Fast RMX while watching the kids!

I played through about 3 championships, each with 3 tracks, and this game is getting hard already... The AI is unforgiving, but the real challenge lies with the tracks and their insane designs. The more I progress, the more this game reminds me of F-Zero because of the tracks. In a few of them, wind was introduced. This means that on portions of the track, the craft is very unstable as it gets shoved to the sides by extreme winds. Boosting through these areas seems to work rather well, but it's hard to pull off sometimes.
This cylinder is fun to ride!
There's also more crazy environmental obstacles, like deadly spinning fans or metal crates being moved around by cranes. At these speeds, it's very difficult to plan your racing line, so there's a lot of track memorization going on. One track was particularly amazing, as large portions of it were cylindrical, with the craft riding it's outside. There was a level very similar to this in F-Zero GX, the forgotten classic from the Gamecube era.

I did pretty well, managing first place in all championships that I've played, but I had to restart some of them a few times, shaving seconds off at each attempt. I unlocked a few ships too, and I've found one that I really like. It's small, it's light, it has a ton of acceleration and I feel like it's easier to handle than others. It doesn't have that much speed or boost, but I make up for it with good cornering. I'm afraid of the higher speed classes...