March 13, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: March 12th
Platform: PS4

My daughter figured out that I had been playing Horizon without her, and she was disappointed that she didn't see the game much, so I spent my morning showing it to her. To keep things simple, I decided to go back to the starting area to gather some medicinal herbs (I was running really low!), pick up some metal flower collectibles and activate a few camp fires that I had missed.

She was impressed with the robots and really liked that they look and act like animals.She is also a big fan of the bow for some reason. When she saw some Billowbacks and Sawtooth in the distance, she was awed, and started giving me tips on how to avoid them. It was adorable!

Our exploration led us to a bandit camp in the north-east corner of the map. There was about 20 guys here, including some pretty tough elite enemies. I managed to stay stealthy the whole time and either stabbed them in the head silently, or shot them with the bow from long range.

After clearing the camp, I made my way slowly towards Daytower and the Carja lands beyond. I could have fast traveled, but my daughter really enjoyed watching me ride that Broadhead, so I took my time with it.

Once we crossed the border, I decided to head towards a nearby Cauldron, which will allow me to override some stronger machines. The Cauldron was pretty long, following the same design as the first. This time though, there were some stronger enemies in here, including a couple of Ravagers. These are basically Sawtooth but with a giant cannon mounted on their shoulder... The cannon can be shot off and picked up by Aloy, but I haven't had a chance to try that in combat yet.
Ravagers are formidable opponents
The Cauldron had many simple platforming sequences. Most of them required that I jump onto large rotating wheels to reach other areas. I could change the direction of the wheels by shooting them. It was simple, but a nice change of pace.

The final battle put me against a Ravager and a Snapmaw at the same time! It wasn't easy, but I abused my tripwire explosives and dodged like a madman. I can now override Snapmaws and other large robots.