March 31, 2017

Horizon Zero Dawn

Date played: March 30th
Platform: PS4

I started out the evening with a little warm up to test out my tearblaster weapon. I fought a group of Chargers and I was very much impressed with the new weapon. While the ammo for it is rather expensive and it has a very short range, it's also wonderful at taking off components quickly, those chargers didn't stand a chance. I'll have to try it out on stronger machines, but so far, it's been cool

Continuing my journey north, I ran into a large bandit camp, with many elite enemies. I took them all out, mostly with stealth, but with some open combat too. After the camp, I decided to fight some Behemoths for the first time. These large transport machines are heavily armored and hit hard, but they aren't too tough to take down. The ropecaster helped a lot too.

I explored the northern area, finding a vantage point, a couple of old cups and a corrupted zone. The corrupted zone was easier than the last one, with only a couple of Ravagers, a few Watchers and some cultists.

The man in the Focus showed up again, and he gave me directions to help me find Maker's End. He seems friendly enough, but also kind of an asshole. I made it to Maker's End and was faced with another DNA-encrypted door, but this time, it worked! Aloy was identified as Elizabet Sobeck by the device...
Aloy enters Maker's End
I went in and explored the depths of the ruins. I found many audio logs and data points that explain the origins of the facility. As far as I understand, there was a large corporation that was tasked with building peacekeeper machines. Basically, robotic soldiers. It seems like things went well for a while...

Holograms recordings revealed a lot of detail about one of the men in charge and Elizabet. Basically, the man found out that the machines were going rogue. They were following their programming, but it wasn't good enough. The machines started attacking humans to harvest their biomass, which in turn they used to reproduce themselves. According to the holograms, this would spell the end of natural life in the world.

Obviously, this didn't happen, as they are still humans and animals around. Elizabet mentioned that the only solution was to go ahead with the Zero Dawn project. The man was stunned, but agreed to the plan since it's the only things that could save the world. It's still unclear what Zero Dawn really is, but I'm sure I'll find out more.

I spoke with the man in the Focus after this. He showed me his appearance via hologram and told me his name was Sylens. He didn't reveal much, but was really impressed with my findings. He says it's the biggest discovery in years and is disappointed that Aloy is fixated on finding more about Elizabet instead of the events that led to the downfall of human civilization... Personally, I tend to agree with him, but I'm sure we'll talk again.