March 19, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Date played: March 18th
Platform: Switch

I finally got back into the beautiful world of Breath of the Wild! My daughter really wants to see it all, so I'm not able to play it very often. I had left off just before entering Kakariko village. The big village has tons of shops, people to speak with, some side quests and yes, even the infamous cuccos.

Of course, there was a man there who lost his cuccos! My daughter decided that this was definitely our first priority, so I spent the next little while searching for the wandering poultry. Most of them were pretty easy to find by just walking around, so my daughter pointed them out all the time. We really had a great time doing this together! However, the last cucco was nowhere to be found. My daughter was a little too quick to suggest a Youtube video to find it... I said no and kept looking. Eventually, I found the straggler hanging out on top of a house!

After this fun chicken hunt, I met Impa. She is a very old woman who was alive back 100 years ago, and she had a message from Zelda herself to Link. Kinda lucky she didn't die sometime along the way.... Anyway, she revealed much of the story. Our objective is now to find the 4 Divine Beasts, defeat them, then recruit them for our army to battle Calamity Ganon. There's also talk of 4 pilots, which I suspect will be one person of each major race in Hyrule. Now my map has markers for the 4 beasts.

My favorite moment of the day was finding the Great Fairy Fountain, just outside of town. Hidden in some sort of plant, a giant, silky hand reaches out, asking for 100 rupees. I do it, and the plant opens to reveal a huge, voluptuous, glittery fairy, adorned with lavish jewelry. Her good looks aren't just for show, as she can upgrade my clothing items for a small fee of monster parts and other stuff.
The first Great Fairy

There was a shrine just above the town, so of course, I went in. This one was different though, as it was really just a combat tutorial. It showed me moves that I didn't know were possible, including a devastating counter attack after a timely dodge, or a tricky parry move that opens up the opponent to attack.

Later, there was a terrifying red moon, and it seemed to make the monsters in the world stronger... There's also another quest that leads me East to Hateno Village to upgrade my Sheikah Slate. On the way back, I picked up a better horse and registered him at the stables. It allows us to name the horse, so my daughter named it after herself! I can also call my horse anytime now, so that's cool.

I headed towards Hateno, fighting a few goblins along the way. I reached the village and was awed by it's beautiful windmills. The quiet village doesn't seem to serve much purpose so far, but there's a laboratory on top of a nearby cliff. After exploring the village and finding a korok seed, I made my way to the lab, but stopped playing just before entering.