May 18, 2016

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Date played: May 17th
Platform: PS4

I played through Chapter 8 and the beginning of Chapter 9. Nathan and Sam had just entered Avery's cave to find his treasure. This whole chapter was all about platforming, navigating the treacherous pirate lair and solving a few puzzles. One of the best puzzles required that I move a series of cranks to align crosses in the right order on a wall. It was a clever puzzle, though it was easier than it looked.

Nathan and Sam worked together to climb steep cliffs, crawl through small tunnels and swing over huge chasms. We also solved a few simple crate pushing puzzles. The whole area was fun and very atmospheric. The amazing lighting set the mood perfectly. When we reached the final room, there was a scale with a cross on one end and some small coins on the other. Based on the clues we got earlier, we knew that we had to take a coin and leave the cross. This revealed a map on the ground that pointed to King's Bay in Madagascar.
Avery's cave was really cool to explore
Unfortunately, just as we were about to leave, Nadine and her goons blew up a wall and entered the room. She figured out that King's Bay is where the treasure is stashed... After a bit of a standoff, Nathan convinced her to grab the cross, which triggered a mechanism that made the floor collapse! In an epic scene, Nathan climbs on collapsing columns while being shot by the military men. Nate and Sam shot their way out and called to Sully to pick them up in the plane. I slid, swung and climbed my way to the ocean while killing enemies and dodging grenades. It was all very cool and exciting, and tons of fun to play.

Nathan, Sam and Sully headed out to Madagascar to find the treasure before Nadine and Rafe. They rented a Jeep and started exploring the beautiful island. This place is so fucking pretty, it's hard to believe it's a video game. Amidst the lush vegetation, rugged terrain and muddy tracks, a volcano in the distance steals the show. It's a real sight to behold, and I made sure to take some time to just look at the scenery.

Chapter 9 is completely different from anything that was done in the series in the past. It's kind of an open world, though it's actually pretty limited. I drove the Jeep around the muddy tracks, trying to find a path inland. There are multiple paths available and small treasures to find, but the main objective is to find a path for the Jeep. I had to find ways to climb steep, muddy hills without slipping. It was kind of like platforming, but with a vehicle, which was really fun. The Jeep itself is a lot of fun to drive too. There were even a few instances where I had to tie the vehicle's winch around trees to hoist it up steep hills.

I reached an area that was overrun with Nadine's soldiers, so I got out of the Jeep and started clearing the area. While at first, I was going for a stealth assault, it didn't take long before I was spotted and had to fight my way out with guns and grenades. I almost died a few times, but I made it out alive. I can't wait to continue exploring the wonderful island of Madagascar!