May 10, 2016

Life Is Strange

Date played: May 9th
Platform: PS4

As expected, Episode 4 is rough.

It picks up as Max reached Chloe's house in the alternate present. Chloe's dad, William, is alive. However, Chloe is paralyzed, in a wheelchair and in constant physical pain. The girls went for a walk (a roll?) on the beach. There's a bunch of beached whales too, another hint at the upcoming weather disaster...
Max and Chloe discuss the accident on the beach
The girls talked for quite a while. Chloe had a car accident with the new truck her dad bought her for her birthday. Obviously, Max is ridden with guilt, though she doesn't reveal her secrets to Chloe or anyone else. They went back to the house and watched Blade Runner together. It was clear that Chloe really appreciated that Max finally spent some time with her...

The next morning, Chloe asks Max to get her some morphine from the bathroom. I explored her room and the house for a while. Lots of high tech gear is required to care for Chloe, and it's been a huge financial burden on her family. It's so bad that they are about to lose their house. I spoke with William, then Joyce, about their lives. They are happy that Chloe is alive, but are obviously struggling in all aspects of life right now.

One of my favorite moments is when Max went into Chloe's old room... It's empty and sad. They had even bought crutches for their daughter, hoping she would walk again someday. Max had some great, reflective moments there. I also discovered that Chloe's respiratory system is failing rapidly and that she is likely to die sooner rather than later...

When I brought the morphine back to Chloe, I was faced with the hardest decision in the game yet. Chloe knows she is dying, so she asked Max to mercifully euthanize her with an overdose... She said that she wanted her great day with Max to be her last memory. I couldn't fucking do it. I just couldn't. I refused... Chloe was very mad and asked me to leave forever. Max decided that she had to go back in time and let William die, so that Chloe could live.

It was a very tough moment and it made me quite emotional, it was just so sad... Max rewinded time again and went back to the moment where William left the house for the last time. This was rough on me, since Max consciously chose to allow William to die in order to save Chloe... 13 year old Max spoke with her friend one last time before burning the photo that allowed her to return to this moment.

Back in the present, things are back to "normal", David was leaving with his things, so Max took the opportunity to snoop in the garage for more clues. After prying open a locked cabinet, she found some cryptic information, including a huge set of coordinates. She also found a heart-felt letter that David began to write for Joyce, but never completed. It's becoming clear that while David is a real fucking asshole, he's an asshole with good intentions. While I'm not 100% certain yet, I believe he is trying his best to find Rachel and avoid future incidents of the same nature.

There's this little side story about a blue jay bird. Back in Episode 1, Max saved the bird as it crashed into the window of the house. Later, I saw it again in the bathroom of the house. Then in Episode 4, the bird is still stuck in the house, so I chose to help it fly out the window.  I even found some eggs and a nest in the garage after David left, so I wonder what's going to happen with that?

Finally, Max and Chloe went to the hospital to visit Kate. One of my favorite moments is when Chloe apologized for being a bitch when I answered Kate's call at the diner. After exchanging pleasantries, Max and Kate discussed their plan for finding evidence against Nathan Prescott, who Kate claims has taken advantage of her. Kate seems to be doing much better now, and even has ideas for a children's book, so that's great news. I stopped playing as Max reached school, but I can't wait to see what happens next.