May 2, 2016

DiRT Rally

Date played: May 1st
Platform: PC

I played the remaining 3 stages of the rally I had started previously, with the wonderfully violent Opel Kadett. The first of the stages I played was set at night, which isn't as bad as it sounds since the headlights are really powerful on these cars. Still, I was careful not to hit anything in case I broke my lights, because that would have quickly turned into a nightmare. As usual, it took me quite a few tries to complete the stage, but in the end I placed 3rd.
The Opel Kadett bursts through the darkness
The second stage I played was a real bitch though. While the turns themselves weren't that crazy,  It's the bumps in the road, the dips, the crests, the jumps. It doesn't take much to destabilize a car, and when riding at high speeds, the slightest elevation change can be very dangerous. I struggled with this stage and fought hard to even stay on the track, so after more than a dozen attempts, I was really happy to hit 3rd place...

The last stage I played was a lot easier than the second, and it only took me 6 or 7 attempts to complete the stage intact. Hell, I even managed to nab 2nd place here, so that's progress. I completed the rally in 3rd place, which isn't amazing, but still rewarded me with a good chunk of cash towards my next car. There are still 5 rallies to go in the 1970's class, so the money should be decent.