May 4, 2016

Ori and the Blind Forest

Date played: May 3rd
Platform: PC

I've completed my last two big games, Assassin's Creed Syndicate and Far Cry Primal, so I'm playing a few other, smaller games while I wait for Uncharted 4 next week. I had started Ori a while ago, but got distracted by other games. Last night I decided to get back into it, but I was rusty as hell...

It took me a good little while to get reaquainted with the controls and abilities. I had forgotten what I could do and how to do it... I ended up checking the controls screen and the ability screen to get a refresher. My objective was to make my way towards Western end of the map, while I was at the far East. To progress, I had to find a new ability, Stomp, which allows Ori to destroy fragile platforms by stomping down on them.
Stomp, my newest skill
I died. A lot. It didn't take too long for me to get back into the groove of the game though, and started doing better. I got the stomp and headed West. One puzzle in particular had me stumped for a bit. There were two paths... One had a destructible platform under water. The other was below the first, and I thought it had a destructible platform above it that if broken, could make the water flow down from the level above. That puzzled me because there's no way to "stomp" upwards. It turns out, it was a different type of destructible... I had to use my charged up attack to destroy it. I felt really dumb for not figuring that out earlier.

I made it about half way to my destination, grabbing ability orbs and other bonuses along the way. I got back into this game pretty quickly, but now I just want to play more of it!