May 15, 2016

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Date played: May 14th
Platform: PS4

I played through chapters 7 and 8 last night. Chapter 7 has Nathan, Sam and Sully team up to steal another cross that is supposed to have clues to Henry Avery's treasure. The cross is being sold at an auction for very rich people. Sully schmoozed his way in, while Nathan and Sam must pretend to be gardeners, then sneak into the building through a window.

The early parts of this chapter were filled with awesome platforming and climbing, which is always one of my favorite parts of the Uncharted games. After many dangerous jumps and rope swings, the brothers reached the window and entered the building, then took off their gardening outfits to reveal some slick tuxedos. They met up with Sully and devised a plan to steal the cross.

Sam would steal it from the pedestal disguised as a waiter, Nathan would turn off power for a short time to give Sam some time to steal the item and Sully would stay in the room, keeping an eye out for problems and coordinating the whole thing via radio. Once again, I had a lot of platforming to do and a few simple puzzles to solve. At one point, Sam lit the way for Nathan with a lighter as they navigated a maze of wine barrels.

In the great ballroom where the auction was taking place, Sully met some old "friends". Nadine is the head of a private military company, an army for hire if you will. She is a stunningly beautiful woman, but she also seems very dangerous. That's when Rafe showed up, the man who had been in the prison with Nathan and Sam... This guy is actually working with Nadine, having hired her to help with his excavation of a cathedral. He threatens Sully, saying that he believes he's up to something...

The cross ended up going up for auction before Nathan could turn off power, so to gain some time, he started bidding for the crucifix against Rafe! I then turned off the power, Sam stole the artifact and escaped amidst the confusion. The next sequence had me reach the parking lot to get away in Sully's car. This time, the climbing was combined with some stealth. I threw guys off ledges, choked men from high grass and when I got spotted, I shot my way out with my pistol and an assault rifle.

By chance, Nathan ended up in a room with Nadine who wanted him to give up the crucifix, unaware that it had actually been taken by Sam. I had a quick unarmed battle with her, but she was clearly a much better fighter. She ended up throwing Drake through a window in one of the most spectacular moments yet. Nathan managed to escape with Sam to reach Sully's car.
Scotland
A clue hidden inside the crucifix led the group to Scotland in a graveyard next to the cathedral Rafe had been excavating. There were many stealth combat sequences here, as I hid in the tall grass and choked men who were looking for us. I also spent a lot of time climbing and jumping of course. In addition to that, there were some rocky "slides" pretty often, which were fun to navigate. We found a secret path beneath a grave by following the clues from the crucifix. After a little puzzle, I saw that we had to go to a cave nearby.

I reached the cave and stopped playing, but the game is getting better and better. I love the stealth stuff and am getting more comfortable with gun battles. I also have some dynamite now, so that helps in combat.