May 25, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: May 24th
Platform: PC

The internet has spoken. Overwatch is THE hot game right now. I wasn't very interested in it when I saw some of the early footage and stuff, but after hearing about it first hand from a friend and seeing the insane amount of positive chatter about the game, I caved and bought it.

I haven't this much fun with a multiplayer shooter in a very long time. What makes Overwatch so much fun is the cast of 21 unique characters, each categorized as one of 4 classes. Offense class is all about dealing damage and killing other players. Tanks soak up damage and protect their teams. Support heals and provides other bonuses to the team. Defense protects the objective. It all works really well together.

After a brief tutorial, I went to a practice range and tried out every hero to get a feel for each of them. Everyone has a few different abilities, some of which are on cooldowns, others are tied to a main weapon, and there are a couple of oddball skills that work differently.
Reinhardt is my favorite hero
The objective of the game is different on every map, but there is basically a capture point mode, a king of the hill mode and a payload mode. All of them require lots of teamwork to succeed. This isn't a game about killing other players, it's a game about winning the objective.

I dabbled with a few characters early on, like Torbjorn, a dwarf that can build turrets and has a powerful pistol. Mcree is a gunslinger, armed with a pistol and lots of evasion skills. Mercy is a full on healer, similar to the medic in Team Fortress 2. I also tried out Bastion, a robot that can transform into a stationary turret at will.

While I liked all of these characters, I really found my groove when I played with Zenyatta and Reinhardt. Zenyatta is a hovering robot yogi that shoots out metal spheres as his projectile. He can also set up a healing orb on a friendly target, and a discord orb on enemies that makes them take more damage from all attacks. I loved playing as him. He's useful, can still fight pretty well with his spheres and is really unique. However, he has very low health, which makes him vulnerable to snipers and other high damage heroes.

Reinhardt is easily my favorite to play so far. He's a giant armored man who wields a nasty hammer and has a very strong shield ability. He also has a dash and a simple ranged attack, but those are on cooldowns, so they aren't available all the time.

I spent most of my evening shielding my teammates from enemy fire as we captured an objective or pushed forward to a new area. I also enjoyed smashing people with the hammer when they got too close, or slamming an enemy tank into a wall to protect my team. I still have a lot to learn, but I'm already in love with this game!