May 29, 2016

Overwatch

Date played: May 28th
Platform: PC

The more I play Overwatch, the more I fall in love with it!

I tried out a few other characters yesterday, like D. Va and Soldier 76. D. Va is a young woman who rides a giant mechanized suit. She's a tank, but she actually goes down rather quickly without a healer. Her primary weapon is really cool... It's kind of like dual shotguns except that they fire continuously and never have to reload. However, they don't deal much damage unless the enemy is really close, so she's more like a way to pester the other team and grab attention.

She's very mobile too, since she can use jets to boost around for a while, including into the air. Her ultimate is kind of crazy. She can eject from her mech and have it detonate behind enemy lines, killing anyone that stands too close. It's a bit tricky to use, and I didn't manage a kill with it yet, but I know it has a lot of potential. When she's out of the mech, she can still defend herself a little bit with a pistol, but she is meant to retreat and wait for a new mech to become available. I want to try her again and see if she clicks with me.

Soldier 76 is very straight forward hero armed with an assault rifle, a sprint, some rockets and a healing pack. He's kind of boring, but his rifle packs a bunch and has really good range. Whenever I see we have a soldier on our team, I'm happy... I did ok with him, but I only played a round or two, so I still have a lot to learn about how to use him, but he seems like the kind of character I would use when we already have a tank and a support.

Speaking of tanks, I'm still fucking rocking it with Reinhardt. He fits my play style quite well. I'm patient, I have good awareness of my surroundings and I usually know when to retreat and when to push forward. It's tough sometimes because a lot of players like to just go off to the sides and flank, but you only need one or two people doing that. The rest should be focused on pushing the front line forward. I love Reinhardt, he's useful in every match. I actually fought another one a few times in one match. It was super weird... We would charge each other, stunning each other... Sometimes, we would just have a hammer fight too, which was fun but really stupid.

Finally, I played a lot as Symmetra. She is quickly becoming my second favorite character in the game. In fact, I had two "Play of the Game" awards with her yesterday. Her teleporter is highly valuable on most maps, so my priority is always to get my ultimate charged up to set up the device. I'm also becoming more crafty with the positioning of the turrets. When placed in a good spot, it can melt someone to death in seconds. I have to be careful of heroes that have explosives though, like Junkrat and Pharah.
Play of the Game!
I'm also becoming more comfortable with her weapon, both with the primary fire and the secondary fire. The primary fire works great in close range, it's surprisingly powerful. Symmetra is small physically compared to some other heroes, so she can sometimes sneak around in the middle of the fight, dealing her own brand of death. Shit, I've even taken down Reapers that I've caught while reloading, so Symmetra is scarier than she appears.

The two "Play of the Game" awards were both in a similar context. Since I can't exactly go deep into enemy territory with Symmetra, I often stay back with my turrets and find a spot where I have a decent line of sight to a choke point. I then fire my charged up secondary fire, a large, slow orb, towards the choke point. This turns Symmetra into sort of a turret that annoys the enemy team. The orb deals very heavy damage and can pass through Reinhardt and Winston shields, so it disrupts the enemy a lot. When I got a bit lucky, I have a few double kills with it at range while my turrets guarded the objective. Both of my awards were when I was setup like that. I love Symmetra so much...