May 9, 2016

Transformers: Devastation

Date played: May 8th
Platform: PS4

Optimus Prime continues exploring the ship that is responsible for the "cyberforming" of Earth. My job was to disable or remove the ship's power core to preserve important data while still stopping the Insecticons from destroying the planet. I fought all three of the original Insecticons in the process. None of them were very difficult, though at one point, I had to fight all three of them at the same time, which was a bit more challenging.

When I reached the room with the power core, I fought these guys again while destroying the power core's shielding at the same time. This whole sequence even had a timer, so it was pretty stressful. When I succeeded though, the Decepticons flew in and stole the power core... This stopped the cyberforming, but the Autobots still had to find the power core.

My next task was to find a Decepticon and try to get information from it on the position of the power core. Optimus found Thundercracker, a jet Decepticon, roaming the city. I chased him down through the streets, shooting it occasionally with some missiles and my blaster. After taking enough punishment, Thundercracker cracked (ha!) and revealed the location of the power core. It's stored on an island that is now heavily protected by Decepticons.

When Optimus reached the area, he was attacked by bigger soldiers than usual, enemies that transform into tanks! They are definitely tough to battle, though they are generally kind of slow. I've been rocking a hammer with Optimus, and a pair of swords for much faster enemies, though I rarely use it. I also have a nice missile launcher and a powerful single shot blaster. Then Starscream, the coward, showed up to fight! I dismissed it rather quickly using my guns and a few hammer attacks.

To weaken the defenses around the island, we had to find some red Energon cubes to use as explosives. For some weird reason, this sequence was played from a top down view, and all the controls were exactly the same. It was funny, but it didn't work as well as the normal third person view. I fought a bunch of enemies along the way, then brought the red Energon cubes back to the bridge and blew up the defenses.
Optimus is about to be ambushed by Blitzwing
As Optimus reached the bridge to the island, he was attacked by Blitzwing, a dangerous Decepticon who can transform into both a tank and a jet. In a really cool sequence, I controlled Optimus in vehicle form from a 2D side view. This whole segment played like an old school shmup... I could attack Blitzwing by aiming my gun in any direction while dodging it's attacks and jumping over large gaps in the bridge. It was spectacular, it was stupid, and it was fucking awesome.

Finally I reached the island and had to fight Blitzwing again, but this time on flat land. This fucker is fast and very dangerous. I struggled a bit, though I didn't die. His tank attacks are really fast, while his jet form is hard to hit. It was a really cool fight. Just as we reached the power core, the Decepticons grabbed it again and flew away!