May 8, 2016

Table Top Racing: World Tour

Date played: May 7th
Platform: PS4

Table Top Racing is kind of like Mario Kart, but with miniature, realistic looking cars. I got it for free from PS+, so I gave it a shot last night. The game is actually pretty damn cool, though it won't hold my interest for very long.

There's some cool stuff here, including fun weapons, shortcuts and car upgrades. There are 3 car classes, from slowest to fastest and about half a dozen weapons. The only thing that is really bothering me about the game is that there aren't enough tracks. There are 5 environments, each with about 3 or 4 variants, but many track segments are reused multiple times. The tracks are also very short, so it kind of gets repetitive pretty quickly.
This is my favorite car
I played a good chunk of the single player campaign, which has a few different event types. The main mode is combat racing, which pits 8 cars against each other with weapons available. There's also a pure race where weapons are not allowed, a surprisingly fun drift mode, a couple of time trial variations and a chase mode.

The real fun, however, is playing online against other players. While the game gets sort of dull in single player, playing against real people is a lot more fun. Good racing lines are rewarded, and smart weapon use is required to win. Of the 10 or so races I played online, I placed mostly 2nd and 3rd place, but never 1st, at least, not yet.