February 1, 2015

Metroid: Other M

Date played: January 31st
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

I had a lot of fun playing Other M, more than I've ever had with this game. I made solid progress too, gathering the ice beam, the Varia suit, the speed booster, the Shinespark ability, the grapple beam and the wonderful, amazing wave beam. I also beat 3 bosses and discovered some dark secrets of the Galactic Federation!

I met up with most of Adam's squad in the exam center, where we discovered that the Federation was performing genetic experiments in order to create creatures that they could us as weapons. When I left the building, I was attacked by a large, mysterious creature and fought it with missiles as it pinned me down. The battle was entirely in first person and since I was pinned, it was a weird battle. Having no control over movement isn't the greatest way to have a good video game boss... Either way, I soon discovered the corpse of the small furry creature from before. Something had clearly "escaped" from it's insides... I think it might be the large mysterious creature, but I'm not sure.

I left and explored parts of sector 3 to chase the boss, who had escaped after our battle. sector 3 is filled with lava and even a large volcano. I ran through very hot areas, taking damage the whole time. I was very happy to score the Varia suit and the ice beam a bit later. This helped me navigate the area and freeze enemies in place, a good tactic to score some missile hits on them.

Then, I fought an amazing boss, the best in the game yet. Goyagma is a long, slimy fire creature. It used it's long arms (tentacles?) to swipe at me and threw fireballs. I had to shoot it with the ice beam until parts of it froze. I was then able to climb on top of the frozen parts to deliver some devastating beam shots to it's head. It was fucking glorious!
Fighting Goyagma was a real pleasure

Samus didn't find the mysterious creature, so I was tasked with exploring sector 2, an icy, snowy area. This was a huge sector. I fought many creatures, explored many crevices and solved many simple puzzles. Along the way, I got the speed booster and Shinespark ability. The speed booster is activated after running in a straight line for a while, so it takes a really open area to use it. While boosting, I can also activate Shinespark for either a long jump or a high jump.

The plot thickens, as Samus meets a young woman who is very scared of her and any representatives of the Galactic Federation. She might be the one responsible for the genetic experiments, but it is not clear yet. At the same time, it is revealed that there is a traitor on our team who murdered at least one of our soldiers! Samus calls him, the Deleter. I'm inclined to think it's Adam, but we'll see. As I caught up with the woman, Samus is attacked by a massive, mobile piece of machinery... It's driven by a member of our unit, though his face is obscured. I fought it with the ice beam, but couldn't see the driver after the battle.

I then scored an absolutely amazing weapon, the wave beam. This thing can shoot through clear objects and fucks shit up real fast. I love it. I met up with one of the soldiers and fought a large creature that had been chasing me for a while. To save his ass, I had to use the grapple beam which should open up many new areas. I'm thinking, once I get the super missiles and power bombs, I will run through most of the game's areas again to get items I missed before. I can't wait to continue playing, Other M is getting better and better.