February 4, 2015

Sunset Overdrive: Mystery of the Mooil Rig!

Date played: February 2nd
Platform: Xbox One
Session fun rating: 9/10

I loved Sunset Overdrive so much, I bought the season pass right after I completed it, which includes 2 expansions that have a whole new set of missions and challenges. The first one, The Mystery of the Mooil Rig, is set on a large, off-shore oil rig where Bryllcream's sister works. The troop master has an upgraded robotic suit that can fly and looks completely badass. I also decided to change my character into a woman to make things a bit different.

The oil rig is overrun by new, more powerful OD that are more flammable due to the oil in their bodies. This meant that all my fire weapons and abilities were very useful throughout the new area. The oil rig itself is a very large structure with multiple levels, but also with a lot of water. Mercifully, 2 new water traversal abilities were added to the game. The first is a dive, followed by a very stylish and useful high jump. The second is a way to chain multiple water dash moves to cover long distances over water. This was even integrated into some of the challenges, including a points challenge where there were no structures to stand on, only water! There's a new weapon too, a flamethrower. It's all right for close quarters battles against OD, but I didn't find it very useful overall.
The hero narrowly avoids the sea monster's tentacles

New missions are the main attraction here and I was pretty happy with what I played, though it was a little bit on the short side. I lit three OD infested chimneys on fire. I gathered objects for a weird dude that pretends to be his own mother. I killed some angry union workers that thought I was a scab. I destroyed some OD eggs that were growing on the structure. I even helped a parody of James Cameron gather money for his next big film project. The dialogue there was really great.

Finally, I found Bryllcream's sister. It turns out, and excuse my language here, that she is a real fucking cunt! She is there to feed the union workers some Overcharge so that they would turn into OD and she could hire cheap labor instead for Mooil, the large petroleum conglomerate. She then started being a bitch to my character, asking me to "Hand over your fucking phone NOW!". A giant kraken type monster came out and ate her in an instant. In a brilliant twist, the impact of the tentacle spelled out "Karma" on the ground!

That's when I fought the monstrous sea creature. I had to destroy it's many tentacles that were spread out all over the oil rig. When that was done, I had to find Bryllcream who launched my body into it's mouth, where I was able to melee the creature from inside it's stomach... I loved the expansion and was glad to play a bit more Sunset Overdrive.