February 2, 2015

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Date played: February 1st
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I played a few levels of Luigi's Mansion. The first was pretty straightforward, I had to use my new crank to explore the northern rooms in the mansion. The professor had a feeling that I would find a more intelligent, leader-type ghost up there, but after a bit of exploration, I only found and large headed ghost playing the piano.

The next level was a lot more fun, as I had to gather a new device, the dark light. This allows me to reveal objects that were hidden by ghosts. I had fun exploring every room I could to find hidden objects, including many gems and lots of money. I got my first upgrade too, so I can deal more damage to ghosts if I wait longer to press the button when fighting them. At the end of the level, I discovered that the source of the disappearing objects was in fact, a Boo, the classic ghost from all the Mario games. To fight him, I had to use the dark light to first reveal his location, then stun him with the regular light and finally suck him in with the vacuum.

Luigi's next task was to clean up all the spider webs in the mansion, which were scattered throughout. I got to use fire as a tool, so that was cool. Sometimes, there were balls of spider silk that were laying around. If I picked those up with the vacuum, I could then bring them to a fire source like an oven or candle and light it up. The silk ball became both a weapon and a tool to destroy larger webs.
Luigi is scared to go into the cellar
Finally, I was tasked with investigating the mansion's spooky cellar. That's where I had my first boss fight, a battle of attrition against a giant spider. This turned out to be a rather complex level... During 3 phases, I had to figure out different ways to burn the large arachnid's web. This included lots of dragging silk balls and getting armor sets to light shit on fire for me. My daughter loved watching the long battle until I was victorious.

This ends the first "world" and a new area opened up, a large, 2 building complex with some sort of complicated water system. I'm loving this game so far and am excited to see what's in the next sector.