February 15, 2015

inFAMOUS First Light

Date played: February 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished First Light!

It turns out, Shane is a real asshole... I did more work for his trading business, which turned out to be drugs of course, in the hopes of finding Brent with his help. What Fetch didn't know is that Shane had already found Brent and was using him as a way to blackmail her into doing his dirty work for him.

This led to more missions helping Shane, but the tone had definitely shifted. The DUP started showing up too of course, as I was causing a lot of havoc in the city. A conduit as strong as Fetch garners attention pretty quickly when she's "active". This means a bunch of new, stronger enemies to fight. The DUP uses other conduits as soldiers, so I had a lot of air battles and a lot more challenge.

I got some new powers along the way. The most useful is a directed blast of energy that puts enemies into stasis for a short period of time, making them harmless for a few seconds and easier to shoot. It can also blast enemies off platforms and buildings. The other is a homing missile power that needs ammo, gained from draining neon sources. It's powerful, but because it has ammo, it's a bit more difficult to use well.

In between some of the story missions, I was brought back to the arena at the conduit prison. I decided to try one of the arena challenges. Basically, it's a score attack mode where I must survive as long as I can and prevent hostages from dying to thugs. I played the first, and I assume easiest of them and got a high enough score to get complete all of it's associated challenges. It was pretty cool I guess, but I had my fill and didn't want to try the other modes.

At one point, the hacker girl from earlier contacted Fetch to offer her help. That's when I was given the opportunity to take down police drones in each district by hacking into their video feed to locate them. Shane killed the hacker girl for her disobedience...

Eventually, Shane asked Fetch to help him cut a deal with the cops so that they would stay away from the drug operations. I ended up killing a bunch of cops and feeling like a dick for it. Then it happened... Shane said he would release Brent because the deal with the cops went well. When I reached the meeting point, I was trapped and poisoned. In a fit of rage, I escaped by blowing out the walls of the building and decided to take on Shane head on.

Fetch had to sabotage Shane's operations by finding 6 of his delivery trucks, killing everyone inside them, destroying the drugs and tagging the trucks with taunting, neon graffiti. This was a long, fun mission, one of the best in the game. The DUP got in the way a few times too, but I took them out as well. Shane seemed like he would finally give in and release Brent.

When Fetch met with Shane, he quickly ambushed her and poisoned her as she walked into a DUP trap. In a weird, drug-induced sequence, I shot blindly at enemies and even had some weird flashbacks about Fetch's childhood. At the end of it, I accidentally killed Brent by mistake... It's a weird way to handle it, but it works pretty well honestly. After an emotional, last breath conversation, Fetch was captured by the DUP.

Shane must pay
I thought the game would end there, but Augustine, the head of the DUP, had a little surprise for Fetch. She brought out Shane! Fetch immediately attacked him, but missed. Her attack opened up a hole in the wall where both of them escaped, though Shane managed to hijack a truck. I stumbled through the snowy mountains nearby, fighting hordes of strong DUP agents and even a helicopter before reaching Shane. It was a great scene. Fetch punishes Shane until she just cracks and kills him.

I thought First Light was pretty damn cool. Fetch is a great character, her powers are fun to use and the story was good. I hope to play another inFAMOUS game sometime soon!