February 25, 2015

Metroid: Other M

Date played: February 24th
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 9/10

I made my way to sector 0, where I hoped to find the metroids and destroy them. Along the way, I battled a monster that dropped the seeker missile upgrade. This allows up to 5 targets to be selected at the same time for missile launches. Later, I went through a very cool area where gravity was unstable. At times, it was completely reversed and Samus was upside down. Other times, it was heavier than normal and prevented me from using normal abilities like missiles and the speed booster.

Inside sector 0, just before reaching the objective area, I battled the awful, ghostly, bio-mechanical creature named Nightmare. It was a difficult fight in Metroid Fusion, and it was difficult here as well. Nightmare used a gravity well to pin Samus to the ground. I had to use charged beams and missiles to damage it, but avoid it's attacks. Without being able to jump, it became pretty hard. After beating it, I continued for a bit and was stunned to be face to face with a baby metroid! 

The cinematic here was visually impressive, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it. It's cheesy, badly acted and doesn't represent Samus as the strong, independent warrior that I know and love. She comes across as a too feminine, too weak character in this scene. In the end, Adam wasn't the deleter after all... He sacrificed himself to save Samus and destroy sector 0.

At the same time, MB, the Mother Brain AI, takes over the BOTTLE SHIP and puts it on a collision course with the Galactic Federation headquarters. Samus, grieving Adam's death, must now stop MB. I gained access to the Gravity Suit, which ignores the weird gravity sections and allows fast movement in water.

Nightmare, phase 2.
On my way back to the main sector, I was surprised by Nightmare a second time as I walked past it's inanimate body. Scarred, angry and weakened, it attacked me and gave me another difficult battle. This time, I had the Gravity Suit, so I was able to resist it's gravity well, but it attacked more fiercely and even had ways to change the course of my missiles in parts of the battle. Patience and quick reflexes granted me victory after a long battle.