February 24, 2015

Mario Tennis Open

Date played: February 23rd
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I bought this game used from a friend and finally got a chance to try it. Since my girlfriend loves tennis, we decided to play a few matches against each other using the always awesome "download play" feature on 3DS.

Mario Tennis Open is a simple, but deep game, kind of like real tennis. It handles very well and looks great. I picked DK and my opponent picked Peach. The game has a large variety of shot types such as spins, slices, straights, lobs, drops, etc. Often, special spots on the court appear where a certain type of shot will trigger a "special" that is usually very powerful and hard to return. For example, by performing a slice shot on a corresponding spot, the ball will have a HUGE curve to it, making it very difficult to hit. We also played a match as our Mii's. I won both matches, though my girlfriend did better on the slower clay court.