February 8, 2015

Battlefield Hardline Beta

Date played: February 7th and 8th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

Well, I really found my groove in this game...

I have been doing very well on the scoreboard. While I generally have a lot more kills than deaths, I've also been quite a team player, getting lots of points for other things like capturing objectives, assisting team mates, healing, reviving and spotting. Spotting is one of my favorite mechanics in the Battlefield series, it's too bad it's not in more games. Basically, when an enemy soldier or vehicle is in my sights, I can press a button to call them out verbally, add an icon overlay on them for my team and add them to the mini-map for a reasonable length of time. It is extremely helpful to the entire team and is easy to do.

I love playing as the thieves!
In one absolutely exhilarating match, I dominated the scoreboard with a good amount of kills, but mostly with a daring, last minute push to get the money on the helicopter. The timer was about to expire on the package, the helicopter was waiting for someone to drop it but our team was mostly just sniping and taking potshots from a distance. I threw a smoke grenade near the package, jumped off the building I had spawned on, opened my parachute, sprinted for the cash and hooked it to the chopper to win the match. It was so fucking exciting and satisfying, I just want to play more of this damn game.

I also played a bit more Conquest and took a liking to the armored SUV vehicle. I'm usually a very good driver in multiplayer games. I know where to position myself, I drive fast and well and am conscious of my gunner's field of view. The armored SUV has a powerful turret on top, so with a good gunner, serious damage can be done. I ended up driving around, capturing points with the same gunner for a solid 5 minutes in one match and neither of us died in that time. He was a very good shot and understood my "language". For example, if I stopped or slowed down, he knew I wanted him to shoot at something nearby and would do it quickly and accurately. It felt real nice.

Battlefield Hardline is a LOT better than I ever expected it to be and is now one of my most anticipated games in the near future.