February 28, 2015

1 PS4, 2 Brothers, Many Great Moments

Date played: February 27th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

One of my brothers came over to visit my house last night and we ended up playing a ton of games on PS4, though we quickly found a game that really hooked us. He wanted to see some of the stuff I had that he didn't know about. We played short bits of games like Trine 2, OlliOlli and Velocity 2X.

We spent a good amount of time with The Binding of Isaac. My bro really liked the creepy, yet funny art and animation. I ended up playing two runs. In the first, I was powerful but careless. In the second, I had good speed and range, but I just couldn't do enough damage to make it through some of the tougher enemies and died.

Then we tried out a bit of LittleBigPlanet 3, though it didn't go as well as we had hoped... We played a weird level where we had to build a car to race another dude. It wasn't explained well at all and honestly, it was just really confusing. Eventually, we managed to build a car out of an ice skate. It had a front wheel that could be used to give us speed when landing from jumps and a balloon to help us get some lift.

The game that really got us going was Towerfall Ascension. This is a 2D, retro versus game where little archers shoot each other to death. It reminded me of BariBariBall in a lot of ways. Strangely, it also felt a bit like a very fast paced Bushido Blade. The big appeal here is that it only takes a single arrow to kill which makes everything really fucking intense. The movement is extremely fast too, so shit gets crazy in even the simplest matches.

My brother's corpse explodes as I contemplate the results of my carnage
There are tons of levels and variants available, so we messed with that too. Stuff like special arrows, exploding corpses, invisibility, etc. We must have played at least an hour and the entire time, we were shouting excitedly at every kill, every close call, every sweet victory and every bitter defeat. Now all I want to do is try the 4 player mode...