February 22, 2015

Costume Quest 2

Date played: February 22nd
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I finished Costume Quest 2!

I was really close to the end when I last stopped playing. I went back in time and recruited the young Dr Orel to help me enter the evil dentist's lair. As I was leaving to go back to the future (!), I planted some rainbow candy in the ground, which grew a small sprout. In the future, I convinced a monster to give me some of it's fertilizer by putting on costumes that reminded him of a movie he saw once... I took the fertilizer, went back to the past and poured it on the sprout. When I went back to the future (!), the sprout grew to a gigantic beanstalk. After a ridiculously long climb through it's trunk, I reached the outer atmosphere and found a powerful new costume, the solar system.

Armed with the solar system, superhero and hot dog, I went inside Dr Orel's lair. Alarmingly, he built an entire fake town run by robots for the sole purpose of trick or treating, reliving his childhood fantasies. After a brief romp through the area, I found a robot costume that let me go into his room unnoticed.

Orel White DDS in his mechanical dentist armor suit
The final battle was a great fight against Orel as he rode his giant mechanical dentist suit. Yep. The fight itself was very easy compared to the last battle of the first game and it's expansion. I used a couple of powerful cards and fucked him without issue. We grabbed the talisman and fixed Halloween! The credits sequence has me finally attending the neighborhood street party, talking to all the folks that helped me during the story.

Costume Quest 2 had better battles, better costumes and much cooler environments, though it was a bit too easy compared to the previous game. I'm still glad I played it, but it would be nice if they changed the formula a bit more if Double Fine ever makes a sequel.