February 17, 2015

Mario Kart 7

Date played: February 17th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 9/10

On break at work, I played a bit of Mario Kart 7 with my friends. We played a 100cc Mushroom cup to get settled in and used to the game. Then we played 3 races on random tracks. Since we only have two game cartridges, Shy Guy was the only available character for one of my friends. I used him and the exact same kart setup so that things would be 100% fair.

I'm really good at Mario Kart in general. I drive fast, I corner well, I use items at the right time and I know the tracks fairly well. I also take advantage of coins, boosts and shortcuts. This means I win a lot when playing against other players. While Mario Kart always has an element of chance with the items, a good clean race helps win a race a lot more than people realize. On the N64 classic Kalimari Desert, one of my friends beat me by a few meters with a little hit of his Tanooki tail just before the end. On Rainbow Road, I dominated the entire field and got 1st place. Finally, on Bowser's Castle, I placed 2nd after an AI racer while my friends were in the very rear of the queue. It's a pretty tough track though...