February 7, 2015

Battlefield Hardline Beta

Date played: February 6th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I'm really loving Hardline, the cops and robbers thing works damn well. I think the Bank Heist map is very well designed, which probably helps everything be much more fun overall. It has many different routes and is well balanced. I tend to prefer playing the robbers now, because I bought the AKM, a high damage assault rifle.

I flank the opposition to help my team steal the money
In fact, in Heist mode, I haven't had a game below 1.0 K/D ratio, which is a really good sign. I got even better when I unlocked a new sight for the AKM. In my best match, I scored a very respectable 15-3. I'm starting to know the map well too, which definitely helps a ton.

I tried out the other 2 modes, Hotwire and Conquest. Conquest is regular ass Battlefield. Set on Dust Bowl, a large, desert map, there are many opportunities for vehicular combat, sniping and other large scale shenanigans. It's fun, but again, I really fucking miss having an LMG to tear things up... Hotwire is kind of a big mess. There are 5 vehicles that are specially marked in the map. Scoring is done by driving these vehicles at high speed. It's kind of a cool concept, but it's hard to take out a vehicle with guns, so most matches end up being just a bunch of people driving around until the match ends. One of the maps for the mode, Downtown, has some really interesting things going for it, including some skyscrapers. This means that people can use a helicopter and snipe from the top of the buildings at very high altitudes. It makes for some cool parachuting sequences too.
The star of the show here is definitely the Heist mode, though Conquest is still as fun as it ever was.