February 24, 2015

Metroid: Other M

Date played: February 23rd
Platform: Wii
Session fun rating: 10/10

Wow, the game really picked up the pace! It turns out, I was just about to reach a boss fight when I last stopped playing. Armed with my new grapple beam, I battled with Vorash, a creepy creature with many eyes that swims in lava. After a few solid hits, the beast sometimes revealed a weak spot that can be grappled. Samus fishes the monster out of the lava and has a few seconds to get some free hits.

After the battle, I explored the next areas and ended up in the first few sections of Sector 3, but with the grapple beam, many more paths opened up. I fought the mysterious purple creature again, but it fled. Soon enough, I found it's corpse, spread open once more as it happened to the fuzzy white creature earlier in the game. It seems it had evolved again.

That's when it happened. Samus fought Ridley.

Samus vs Ridley
It turns out, the mysterious creature was a clone of Ridley that had to evolve from it's fuzzy white larval stage, to the teenage creature I fought a few times to finally become the fearsome dragon we all know and hate. I was granted access to the Plasma Beam and Super Missiles to fight the beast. Unfortunately, Ridley managed to kill on of the last soldiers on the ship, the large dude with the amazing gun.

The battle with Ridley was lots of fun and pretty difficult. He actually managed to kill me three times, which is more than I've died in the entire game so far... All I really had to do was dodge quickly and charge my beam for quick hits. After some damage, his skin would sometimes become dark and he could reflect beam shots, so I had to use the new Super Missiles to damage him. I knocked the beast out on the fourth try, but he quickly woke up and fled.

I ended up back in Sector 1 where I spotted a member of the Galactic Federation as he ran away. I think all that is left from the team is Adam and the Deleter, but I'm not certain. Adam is unreachable, so Samus decides to start using her famous screw attack and space jump abilities, which lets her jump across long chasms freely. As I was following the person, I ran into a young woman who turned out to be Dr. Madeline Bergman, the doctor in charge of the entire installation.

There was a lot of story stuff here, but the gist of it is that someone grabbed some metroid cells from Samus' damaged suit after the events of Super Metroid. The stupid fucks then cloned it and bred it. To keep control of them, they also had to replicate Mother Brain in some way, so they built an AI to replace the biological creature. Dr. Bergman told me to head to Sector 0, a hidden part of the BOTTLE SHIP, to destroy the metroids.

After Samus left, an unknown Galactic Federation soldier showed up and approached Dr. Bergman. It's either Adam or the Deleter I think... unless Adam is the Deleter...