February 17, 2015

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

Date played: February 16th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 8/10

I started Majora's Mask 3D. I've never actually played it outside of a few minutes here and there when I was a teenager, so this remake was a great opportunity to finally play it. The game has a strong opening where a young Link rides Epona in the woods. A mysterious kid in a scary mask shows up, accompanied by 2  fairies and taunts Link. He then steals his famous ocarina and precious horse. He also puts a spell on Link that transforms him into a Deku, a weird, wooden creature. One of the fairies is left behind and decides to help Link recover his belongings. She also reveals that the kid is named "Skull Kid".

As a Deku, Link cannot use his sword and shield. He has an spinning attack and can duck into holes (flower holes??) to launch himself into the air and glide a long distance with spinning flowers. After a few tutorials, I reached Clock Town, the hub of the world.

The Skull Kid and his fairies
So the big thing about Majora's Mask is that there is a 3 day cycle. I'm not sure how this really works yet, as I haven't completed a cycle yet, but I believe that the world resets after 3 days and only a few things carry over. It's quite unclear at this point. For now, I have to find my Ocarina before the 3 days are up. I explored a few areas of the town, but not many. I played a little maze mini-game and scored some deku nuts for my efforts.

I met the Great Fairy, as per my fairy's instructions, but she was tricked by the Skull Kid and lost a part of herself to him. I first had to find a missing fairy for her. I found the fairy in the town and brought it back to the Great Fairy. She regained her regular, sexy form and granted me the ability to shoot aimed bubbles. Using motion controls to fine aim the bubbles, I shot down a fancy balloon outside the shrine, which got the attention of a gang of kids.

These kids seem to run the fucking town, as they are blocking access to a path I need to find the Ocarina. They challenged me to a game of hide and seek, but I only had until dawn to find them. At that point, it was already 3 AM in the game, so I failed. I had to find them again the next morning. They were scattered around town, hiding in boxes and on ledges. When I found them all, I was given a code to access the blocked path.

On 3DS, I find that the 3D effect works very well with action games like Zelda. The second screen also plays a big role as I could see the map at all times and can select items and eventually, masks, on the fly. Finally, the New 3DS' control stick works wonders in a game like this as it allows me to control the camera quickly, accurately and easily. I'm excited to see what happens next!