July 6, 2014

Watch Dogs

Date played: July 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I started with a few side missions. I found the last QR code and completed it's final mission. It had the most complicated hacking segment in the game, a labyrinth of wires and connectors that took me a good amount of time to solve. I also completed the human trafficking missions which ended in a convoy type mission. I just had to kill everyone so I put a car on the road, stuck a bunch of IED's around it and waited for the fireworks. They all died within 4 seconds and it looked amazing.

I then completed Act II. The last mission had me using video cameras to guide Bedbug to a secure server room in Iraq's stronghold. I had to show the man where to go using the video cameras and keep guards off him by hacking different items. Finally, when he got in the room, I got partial data from the heavily encrypted computer while Bedbug was caught, but spared by Iraq.

Back in the bunker with Clara, Aiden discovers that in order to decrypt the data retrieved, he would need to find the person who encrypted it in the first place. The man is named Kenney and has been in hiding for a year because he acted as a whistle blower on Blaine, the ctOS creators. I traced his last online footprint to an old computer in a warehouse. When I got there, tons of dudes were waiting for me, so I took them out. Reinforcements arrived and because there were so many, it felt a bit like a segment from Gears of War or something, as I lay behind cover and spit out a hail of bullets from a light machine gun. A couple of dudes ran away and hopped into a fire truck, which I then had to take out. It turns out Kenney is hiding in Pawnee, the rural area to the north west of Chicago.

An old ctOS tower
To find him, I had to find a way into an old ctOS tower that is supposed to be inactive. This was more of a platforming section as I had to rotate the large satellite arrays in a way that would let me get to the secured basement of the place. I activated the tower which revealed a safehouse, the last missing persons mission and another burner phone on the map. It also gave me information on Kenney. I followed the clues to the local watering hole, a little bar in town. I asked around for Kenney when I was approached by a man who seemed to know him. We drank together a bit, then he attacked me! Of course, that was Kenney himself and he was scared that I was a cop or a Blume hitman.

After a bit of talking, he agreed to help decrypt the data, but only if I helped him get back into Chicago. He is exiled because ctOS monitors his body's metrics and can recognize him at all times. If I can hack hack into the right server, I might be able to erase his profile on ctOS and get his help. I started by getting him his van back from some gangsters... I don't know why, but it was a cool mission. I killed the gangsters, stole the van and drove it back to Kenney's junk yard. That place is incredible... He has built tons of automated defenses, most of which are robots that look like monsters and dragons. It's really cool...