July 11, 2014

Watch Dogs

Date played: July 10th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I finished Watch Dogs!

The last few missions wrap every loose end in a pretty satisfying way. It started with Aiden finally getting a lock on Nicole's location by scrubbing some audio in the background of his last call with her and Damien. He heads to the place and hacks his way into the room she was held in, kills a guard with an explosion and guides Nicky away from the bad guys and into a getaway car. I met her at the place Jackson was staying and put them in a car. It quickly became clear to Nicky that Aiden was the vigilante... Aiden decides to bring them to Pawnee so that they can move out of Chicago and be safe. The mission had me drive them there while avoiding dozens of police patrols. They then had a heartfelt good bye.

Next up was Lucky Quinn. I had discovered that the mob boss is the one who ordered the hit on Aiden... So of course, I assaulted his office which is inside a large hotel. I sneaked my way through and finally found Quinn in a bullet proof safe room. There was a whole speech there and Quinn revealed a video that explained how he was able to blackmail the mayor. Then Aiden hacked his pacemaker and watched him die from heart failure. Fucking cold, man.
Aiden prepares for the final showdown against Damien

Then I hunted down Damien Brenks. He managed to take full control of ctOS, which means he was screwing with Aiden by using hacks and other weird tricks during the entire mission. I had to shut down three devices so that I could gain access to the main ctOS server. The whole time, I had dozens of cops on my ass and the GPS navigation was all messed up. After a few failed attempts, I succeeded and shut down the entire network, creating a complete blackout in Chicago!

I managed to pinpoint Damien's location at the lighthouse on the east side of town, so I grabbed a boat and confronted him face to face. Aiden was betrayed by his business partner Jodi who pulled a gun on him because Damien hired him... With a bit of clever hacking and some brawn, Aiden managed to overpower him and was forced to kill Damien with a bullet to the face.

In the epilogue, Aiden releases all the data stolen from Iraq to the press, creating pandemonium. It is also revealed that ctOS 2.0 will release and will be made available world wide, hinting at the possibilities in a sequel. I really liked Watch Dogs overall. It's well made, polished, varied and fun. I think there's a lot more that could have been done with the hacking mechanics and maybe it would have been a better game if it didn't have so much shooting, but it was a great experience. It's also my first ever platinum trophy after years of Playstation games, so that's pretty cool.