July 2, 2014

Watch Dogs

Date played: July 1st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 10/10

I played through a few missions in the campaign for Watch Dogs, as well as completed the Weapons Cache side missions. The finale to the Weapons Cache missions was pretty cool. I had to assault a massive enemy base where three different waves of increasingly difficult enemies showed up to kill my ass. I took them down by using many different tools.

The Viceroys gang gets fucked up by Aiden
Aiden and Clara tracked the IP address provided by Damien, in the hopes that if it leads to the data he needs, he will release Nicole. This turned out to be quite a task. The IP led to a criminal stronghold in an area of the city that is isolated from the real world. No cops, no ctOS, no laws. The mission had me navigate the building to gather information using only the cameras of the building. It was pretty cool and well made. In the end, I discovered that the man leading this place is a guy named Iraq. He is fucking crazy, violent and dangerous. I need to get inside, so the best solution was to get a snitch.

Aiden picked a man called Tyrone "Bedbug". He is Iraq's cousin, so I started tailing the man. The campaign missions are very varied and polished, it's really nice to see that in an open world game. For example, to tail him, I had to move around a little neighbourhood unseen. I had to take out tons of guards to make it safely across. It kind of felt like Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell, which was cool. I managed to get some dirt on the guy and was ready to make a deal.

I tailed him again until he was alone, then confronted him and asked him to cooperate. When he saw the information I had, he was pretty quick to agree. The last mission I played had me follow a briefcase that was heavily guarded by Iraq's men. I forget why I was doing this, but it was a cool mission nonetheless. I watched some men exchange the suitcase around half a dozen times when one of them slipped away in a boat. I followed him on a bike, then found the briefcase in a nearby marina.