July 16, 2014

Strider

Date played: July 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

PS Plus just keeps giving me quality games to play... Strider is classic series which I only played a little bit on MAME emulators a few years ago. It's about a ninja who cuts stuff, mainly robots. Also, he has a really cool scarf.

Add caption
The game is a 2D Metroidvania game where the ninja must destroy enemy forces. This is a real video game in all ways. It's dumb, it's fast and it's fun! I made my way through the first area, the outdoor section of a military base. I also explored another sector that is much bigger, set in a city.

This is exactly the type of game that it appears to be. There aren't any big surprises, but it's very well made, looks great and is fast as hell. There are tons of upgrades scattered around the level and dozens of enemies to slice through. The combat feels good and the upgrades have all been useful so far. The highlight of the game so far has been it's bosses. There are a lot of mini-bosses which are fun to learn and fight and I think I fought only one real boss. It was a giant mechanical dragon of death! Armed with turrets, an electrocuting shell and little flying drones, it tried it's best to defeat me, but I made it to the head and smashed the beast to bits.