July 18, 2014

Emergency Multiplayer Procedure

Date played: July 17th
Platform: Xbox 360/PS3
Session fun rating: 10/10

Something special happened last night. My brother called me and asked if he could come over to download an Xbox 360 game since he doesn't have internet at his new house yet. He brought his 360 and that's when a series of unfortunate events played out.

First was that he didn't bring his cables, thinking we could just use my existing setup to plug in everything. The problem was, my 360 has been in storage since April 2012 when I played Mass Effect 3. I rummaged through my stuff and eventually found the power cable and component cables. Then, when we plugged the 360 and were prompted to do a system update. Now, I have no idea why, but it failed many times, giving a weird error message. I searched on the internet a bit and found that I could update via USB stick. I downloaded the update on my PC, formatted my drive to FAT32, unzipped the file and plugged in the USB stick. Thankfully, this worked and we now had the latest firmware.

When we tried to connect to Xbox Live to go buy the game on the store, we discovered that my brother didn't remember his account password. Sitting on the floor, my brother used my phone to complete the password recovery process, which required that an email be sent to a different email address to gather a recovery code. With that in hand, he was able to reset his password. We went back to Xbox Live and were able to log in!

Xbox Live showed no mercy...
The game he wanted to buy was Trial Fusions, the latest in the 2D, motorcycle platforming series. We found it on the store and tried to buy it. BAM! Invalid credit card. Fuck. We updated the credit card and were able to purchase the game. Then of course, because the world was conspiring against us, we get an error saying the hard drive is full... Back out to the home menu, delete Limbo and a couple of demos and we were able to finally download the game. It was quite a technological adventure!

While we were waiting during these many processes, we managed to get a few games in. The first was Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate: Core Fighters. This is a free to play version which I had downloaded a while back on my living room PS3, AKA, the Netflix box. There are only 4 characters available and few stages but it still plays very well. I've been a longtime fan of Dead of Alive because I just love the mechanics of it. It's fast, flashy and the countering system is very cool. We fought with Ryu Hayabusa, Ayane, Kasumi and Hayate. Most of the matches were really close. I enjoyed playing as Hayate quite a bit. He's a bit more technical but is powerful.

We then played some Trials Evolution on 360, a game my brother has played to death. I first did a few runs on my own on easy tracks to get a feel for it, then we went into a multiplayer game and raced each other. It was awesome, though he's clearly better than me. We also played a few rounds of the Bomberman Live demo because, well, it's Bomberman and it's fun.

Finally, when the Trials Fusion download was finished, we tried it out a bit. It starts off with a bang as the game is set in the future and has some really impressive backgrounds, though the graphics looked a little weird. Maybe it's because they were made for newer hardware? Who knows... My brother also bought Puzzle Bobble Live, but we haven't tried it.

What a night!