July 5, 2014

Mario Kart 8

Date played: July 4th
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 10/10

Once again, I had a blast playing Mario Kart 8 with my girlfriend online. It was a weird night though, many of our lobbies were fairly small, sometimes with as few as 6 people. It was pretty cool still, because it led to having a lot more room on the track and fewer random item hits. In fact, that's when my girlfriend managed to get her first win!

She was rocking Toadette with the cat cruiser kart and a new set of slick wheels. The added speed really seems to help her a lot. Now, I have to say, I have a bit of credit on this win. Late in the third lap, she had managed to slip into first, but I was in second and picked up a red shell. Instead of going for the win myself, I used my shell to defend and kept pursuers at bay, helping Toadette maintain pole position.

My girlfriend's winning race
I used a new combination too. I went with the super heavy Bowser, a pipe frame and some button wheels. It gives me the same speed as my DK setup, but better handling and a bit more weight, which has been useful for knocking people around in bigger lobbies. This has been VERY successful for me. I won many races last night and almost never dropped below 3rd place. I think I found my new favorite setup!