July 4, 2014

Mario Kart 8


Date played: July 3rd
Platform: Wii U
Session fun rating: 9/10

My girlfriend and I had a great time playing Mario Kart 8 online again. I tried a different kart combination today, using DK with the Circuit Special kart and some button wheels. It works pretty damn well and earned me my first win in a while. I did fairly well overall. My girlfriend was pretty good too, she even beat me in one of the races!
DK shrieks in joy as he speeds past Mario
The best race of the night was on Rainbow Road. It's full of fun turns, big jumps and anti-gravity twists. I got really lucky at one point during the second lap. I was in third place and got three red shells. I hit second place with two red shells, overtook him, shot the last red shell at the leader and sped towards him. I got another item along the way. In an incredible twist of luck, I scored a blue shell while sitting in second place! This is likely never going to happen again... I took advantage, went to first place and held it there with speed and a good racing line to finally win. It was really awesome... You can watch the highlights below.