July 28, 2014

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Date played: July 27th
Platform: PC
Session fun rating: 9/10

I've done it. I've installed dozens of mods for Skyrim and everything works as expected, at least so far. It's actually pretty simple, but it took me a solid three hours to get everything running. I used a very well made guide on Reddit to guide me. The variety of mods is incredible... I started with unofficial patches. Then I've added 250 different weather effects, improved character models, custom armor sets, redesigned bottles and vials, high definition book covers, new water effects and foliage, some improved 3D graphic meshes, improved blood effects, a complete revamp of the UI and something that removes the UI when it's not needed. There are a few minor ones too but in the end, I think I picked a good selection.

I tried it out by exploring Riverwood, gathering a few quests, selling items and making a few potions and armor, though I had almost no materials to make anything interesting. I got my first follower, an elf archer and bought a couple of spells.

My battle-mage in full leather armor
Whiterun is my next big destination, but I figured I would do one of the quests I got in Riverwood first. The town's trader had a dragon claw stolen from him by bandits nearby. I like my fighting style so far. I use a few arrow shots to weaken enemies when I spot them from afar. Then I've been using a mace and a fire spell at the same time to take enemies down. While I am not able to block, so far I've been able to handle the weak enemies thrown my way. I made it through the entire cave and retrieved the claw then headed back to Riverwood.

I sold my loot, turned in the quest and went back to the forging area. I think forging it one of the most important skills in this game as it grants access to the best armor and weapons. I spent some time making armor and weapons and upgraded my light armor set. I've reached level 3, but I haven't selected any upgrades yet, I'm still not sure how I really want to build this character.