July 5, 2014

Skylanders Swap Force

Date played: July 5th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

There was a sale on Swap Force and my daughter loved Giants. Not only that, I have a bunch of figures that are lying around, so I picked up Swap Force and an extra figure. Of course, the big hook here is that some Skylanders can swap their feet and heads, making for some really cool combinations. The game comes with Wash Buckler, Blast Zone and Ninja Stealth Elf. Wash Buckler is a pirate with squid legs, Blast Zone is a bomber with jet boots and Ninja Stealth Elf is...well, she's a fucking ninja. I also bought Fire Kraken, a fireworks wielding dragon thing.

I played Giants on Wii U, but now that I have a PS4, I figured that would be the best way to play. Right out of the game, Swap Force looks MUCH better than the last game. Everything looks great and is animated wonderfully. Also, I was glad to see that a jump button was added to the game which makes it feel a lot more fun to navigate.
Swap Force looks great and is more dynamic

I played through the first level, fighting enemies and trying out my new Skylanders. There are new areas that are specifically made for the new guys. For example, I required the climbing legs of Wash Buckler and the rocket boots of Blast Zone to navigate these special areas. I LOVE Fire Kraken. He's fast, throws fireworks and can even transform into a Chinese ceremonial dragon to ram into enemies. After the level, we found a city which acts as a hub for the rest of the game.