July 26, 2014

Original Xbox racing special

This game looks amazing for it's age
Date played: July 26th
Platform: Xbox
Session fun rating: 9/10

I picked up a few racing gems in a retro game shop in Quebec City as well as a component cable to allow 480p display in supported games. For the original Xbox, the loot was Burnout 3 Takedown, Outrun 2, Forza Motorsport, Project Gotham Racing 2, Rallisport Challenge and Rallisport Challenge 2.

I first tried Burnout 3. This game was an instant classic when it came out, mainly due to it's intense arcade racing and the infamous Takedowns, which were spectacular at the time. The game still holds up wonderfully and is still incredible fun. I only played one track, but any worries about the age of the game dissipated within that race.

Then I tried out the two Rallisport Challenge games. Again, these are high quality games that still hold up well today. In fact, Rallisport Challenge 2 looks better than most Wii games... I prefer the handling and feel in the second game. I played a few legs of classic rally racing in both these games and had a good time. One thing I was surprised to see is that the games were made by Dice, now famous for Battlefield. I would give an arm and a leg for a new quality rally game...

Finally, I gave Outrun 2 a quick look. This is a true arcade game in every sense. I mean, the whole objective is simply to beat the checkpoints before time expires. The branching paths add some nice variety, though in my three runs, I couldn't manage to beat the third segment.

I still have a couple of games from the lot to try, but those will have to wait another day.