May 6, 2014

Mario and Luigi: Dream Team

Date played: April 29th and 30th
Platform: 3DS
Session fun rating: 7/10

I wanted to play the Vita, but the battery was dead, so I went back to a game I stopped playing a while back, the newest RPG with the Mario bros. I didn't play for very long, but it was enough to get through the mountain area. I learned a new move along the way, a sort of horizontal drilling maneuver that let me bypass spiked areas and crush stones. I battled enemies along the way as normal and saved a few pillow folk from some dream sequences, though there was nothing exciting to really talk about there.

The boss was tons of fun though. Mammoshka is a weird rock mammoth enemy. He has a variety of attacks, including hurling giant boulders at the bros, tossing snowballs, running towards them to suck them into his trunk and summoning minions that boost it's attack power or defense. It took a while, but I whittled down it's health until lost of rock armor and died from repeated pummeling. At the top of the mountain, we then met up with Bowser and the other purple dude. They started playing some odd tunes on their big ass sound system (!) from the peak. The music put all the kingdom to sleep! We escaped in a dream, but are now stuck in it and must find a way out to then turn off the music...