May 17, 2014

inFAMOUS Second Son

Date played: May 15th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I played a story mission where Delsin had to climb the famous Space Needle and take out some of the D.U.P's equipment to reduce their influence. I picked up a few new powers along the way, including a very useful smoke grenade that puts enemies in a vulnerable state so that I can subdue them. There is also a powerful missile power, which I've used to take out transport vehicles and even a couple of helicopters. Finally, the coolest power yet is the orbital drop, which is kind of a big finisher move where Delsin jumps way up in the air then slams down on the ground with amazing force. It requires use of a meter that is filled up by subduing enemies.

Combat is really fun in Second Son
After clearing out the Space Needle and killing a mini-boss, I spent most of my time completing little side missions that helped me take control of three territories. For example, in hidden camera missions, I am shown a video feed and must find the camera based on what I saw. There are also secret agent missions, where I had to find a D.U.P agent hidden amongst the crowd using a picture as reference. There are audio logs from a D.U.P insider that can be found using a sort of hot/cold meter. To make things a bit cornier, there is also a spray painting mini-game. Before you ask, yes, I have to shake the controller before spraying. Finally, once all these things are done, the area's showdown becomes available which is essentially a big battle. I enjoyed doing all the side quests, again, reminding me of the fun I had with the last Assassin's Creed game.