May 12, 2014

Killzone Shadow Fall

Date played: May 10th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 7/10

I finished Killzone Shadow Fall!

Helghan prepares for the Vektan invasion
The last few chapters were pretty interesting story wise, but the gameplay wasn't anything special. I crash landed on Helghan (I think?) and made my way through the area with Echo. I was confronted by a few large scanning devices that must be disabled to progress. Conventional weaponry was useless though, I had to take out it's power supply. This turned these events into more of a stealth action puzzle than anything else and was pretty cool to play. There was also a really cool combat section where I had a sniper rifle where I took out enemies at long range while avoiding automatic turret fire.

There was a big defensive section in one mission, where I had to protect Echo from incoming troops. It was easier than it should have been, probably due to the large minigun I used through most of it. Then there was an actual boss fight with a dude equipped with a defensive shield drone and spider mines. This was a fun battle, even if completely ridiculous.

I then headed out to the Helghan command ship to take out the leader, which turned out to be a familiar face from previous games. There wasn't much to do in that level except fight a few well armored and well shielded Helghast. I had a nasty surprise at the end of the level, though I won't spoil it here, as it's the end of the game as well.

As a nice bonus, there was a surprise level that started as the credits started rolling. This was a mission where I played as Echo who assaults Vektan alone and stealthily to take out...someone. The mission required complete stealth, including the use of Echo's amazing stealth camo. I had to take out two camera control consoles without being seen, then grab a sniper rifle from a tower, to finally kill my target, all while staying hidden from dozens of guards and even civilians.

I enjoyed Shadow Fall, as I have every Killzone game. This series get a bad reputation for no reason...