May 29, 2014

Need for Speed Rivals

Date played: May 28th
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 8/10

I remembered that there is an app for Rivals that unlocks overwatch challenges. Before getting into the proper PS4 game, I played a bit of the app during dinner. When I got to the real game, I had two new challenges to complete, one as a cop and one as a racer. I completed both, which netted me a new car and a bunch of other stuff like decals and such.

Weeeeee!
I was running pretty low on funds on my racer career, probably because I bought every car as it became available, so I decided to try farming, which turned out to be pretty profitable, and kind of fun. I picked a Mustang because it's pretty solid and speed isn't needed for the method I used. Basically, I found an interceptor event close to a repair shop, and not too far from a hideout. I equipped my car with the shockwave and electromagnetic field abilities and hit the cop as often as possible, repairing when I needed it. Then I repeated until I had too many cops on me and ran to the hideout. I made solid money with that trick so I think I'll use it again when I get a car that I want to upgrade and stick with.

I then played a quick head-to-head before attempting to win a medium difficulty race. I've been using the McLaren Spider for a bit and it's fast and fun to drive. I equipped it with a turbo and an EMP, but I've struggled with one of the race events on the west side of the map, Gullwing Drive I think it's called. It hugs the sea then swerves into the heart of the desert at very high speeds. I've managed second place a few times but I just can't win this one...yet.