May 22, 2014

inFAMOUS Second Son

Date played: May 21st
Platform: PS4
Session fun rating: 9/10

I got a new power! The power of video...

It all started with the investigation of his lair, which is full of monitors and electronic equipment. I was transported to...well, a video game, kind of. I had to fight with a giant winged demon that shoots lasers from it's hands, all the while surrounded by lava. Yup, video games are fun.

After the big fight, I was transported out of the game and back into the conduit's lair where I was able to absorb his power. Eugene Sims is a weird little kid who was bullied too much in school and discovered he had the ability to summon demons and use video screens as a source of power. While Delsin had absorbed Eugene's power, he had no abilities available... I had to tag along with the brother so that he could help me open a couple of core relays, which allowed me to find the other relays on my own.

Slicing up foes with the video sword!
The video abilities are pretty cool, but took me a while to get used to. The main weapon is a beam that acts as a machine gun. It's pretty powerful but kind of hard to aim from long range. There's a cool missile type attack that sends video swords flying through the air to destroy equipment and vehicles. The most fun to use is the amazing navigation ability, which grants Delsin some wings so that he can fly up buildings for a short time. It works well, is fast and is easy to use. It's definitely more useful than the fast run of the neon powers. Finally, the coolest of all the video moves turns Delsin invisible for a short time and lets him subdue enemies without being detected. It works VERY well in combat, though it doesn't work with the tougher enemies. I spent a bit more time in the game to complete side quests and capture two more districts.